My Guide Website?
Nicosia: Self-Guided Audio Tour for Your Smartphone8 Reviews
Step back in time on this app-based audio tour in Nicosia. Meet Venetian, Frankish, Ottoman, and British rulers and experience GPS playback as you see sights like the walls and the Archbishop’s Palace.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Cyprus:If youʻre booking your trip to Cyprus last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Get a taste of what life in Nicosia was like during the last 1,000 years
- Hear from the producer, Katerina Solomidou, a local tour guide
- Do it all in 75 minutes or linger at stops along the way
- Get unlimited use before your booking date and after it
- Use the virtual tour option at home
DescriptionIn the last 1,000 years, Nicosia has been conquered by the French, Venetians, Ottomans, and British, leaving the capital of Cyprus still divided to this day. On this walking tour through the old city, I’ll point out several tell-tale clues about the city’s complex past, which are etched into sites like the Venetian coat of arms on Famagusta Gate. Starting next to the Liberty Monument, you’ll follow part of the Venetian Walls before winding your way through the old city centre, to reach the end of our tour in front of the Archbishop’s Palace. Along the way, you’ll hear about the 300-year French reign, why the Venetians sought to take over the island from the French Lusignans, and how Ottoman rule changed the city’s fate and continues to impact it today. On this tour, you’ll see a handful of the dozens of churches that have mushroomed on every corner since the 5th century. I’ll show you the old town where, over the centuries, multifaceted societies developed each of their religions peacefully. I’ll also tell you how a flourishing, newly liberated society suddenly became divided. You can look forward to: • Learning why the city is under military occupation and how this affects it culturally and environmentally • Seeing the Venetian fortress and contemplating its hasty construction • Hearing about the city’s imperfect defenses, which enabled the Ottomans to conquer it • Deciphering architecture to understand people’s mentalities under different rulers • Hearing about the city’s oldest churches with the most precious icons and frescoes • Finding the city’s dividing line, which no other state apart from Turkey recognizes • Walking down narrow streets where you’ll see schools, homes and factories abandoned because of their proximity to a military zone • Finding out about the four-year struggle for independence, and a few other tidbits related to the city’s British occupation Give yourself 75 minutes to make the most of this tour and get a taste of what life in Nicosia was like during the last 1,000 years.
IncludesLifetime access to this tour in English VoiceMap app for Android and iOS Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- You need to install the VoiceMap smartphone app.
- You can download the tour at any time, before or after your booking date. It’s best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point.
- This tour follows a set route and includes turn-by-turn directions. It works best if you start it in the right place and follow the directions from one location to the next.
- When the download completes, you’ll see a screen with a photo of the starting point and directions to it. The red start button will become active when you are at the starting point.
- This tour is only available in English.